Here are a few of the design principles that I consider when creating a garden:
- Form always follows function; this creates a garden that you love to be in, as well as look at.
- Plantings that include many different types of plants (evergreens, bulbs, annuals, ground covers) can create dynamic displays that last year round.
- Plantings help situate your home in its surroundings, to make it look like it belongs.
- Layers in plantings & proportionate garden beds create garden area that are pleasing to the eye.
- Fragrance, sound and movement add interest and depth to a garden.
- Ecological responsibility
- Sustainable and knowledgeable planting choices save time and money in maintenance.
- Certificate: Horticulture from the Royal Horticultural Society, Wisley, UK.
- Designer: Twelve years experience designing gardens large and small for privacy, functionality and year-round beauty.
- Gardener: Ten years intensive gardening experience at my own home gardens, Gilmore Gardens and Havenwood Gardens.
- Garden Photographer - Published in: The Plant Lover's Guide to Primulas (Timber Press, 2016); The Perennial Matchmaker (Rodale, 2016). Promotional photography: Urban Accessories
- Garden Writer: Six years for my internationally-read garden blog, Wife, Mother, Gardener.
- Speaker: Topics included: Gardens for the Health and Wellness of Communities; The Making of Gilmore Gardens; how-to and garden maintenance; applied introductory botany, and Gardening to Become More Human.
- Nursery Work: Four years commercial plant propagation, growing and sales.
- Correspondence class with world-renown British garden designer, John Brookes; practicum classes with American garden designer, Gordon Hayward.
- Over thirteen years extensive self study of world renown gardeners/garden designers, including Christopher Lloyd, Rosemary Verey, Vita Stackhill-West, Laurence Johnston, Claude Monet, William Robinson, Beth Chatto, Margery Fish, Gertrude Jekyll, John Brookes, Piet Oudolf, Tom Stuart-Smith and many others.
- Container planting and photography featured in Fine Gardening Magazine's July-August 2012 issue, and personal gardens featured multiple times on Fine Gardening's Garden Photo of the Day.
Ready to make a beautiful garden?
See all my services, my schedule, and pricing, then complete the Garden Owner's Form with your contact information and thoughts on your desired garden design.